Mon - Fri 9am - 5.00pm
Tel: 01347 821 329
The Easingwold Advertiser & Weekly News is a family-owned paper for Easingwold and the surrounding area
This month’s edition of Business Briefcase is somewhat of a double header.
In 2029 Easingwold Cricket Club will celebrate 200 years as a Cricket Club. It was formed at the same time as Thirsk, Sessay and York cricket clubs in 1829. For the last 100 plus years, there has always been at least one member of the Skilbeck family in the team.
One member, Walter Skilbeck, was born in 1886 in Escrick and as a young man, was apprenticed as a carpenter on Lord Wenlock’s estate. But, as he spent all his free time in the pub, as soon as he completed his apprenticeship he was asked to move on.
He decided to move north and set off on his bike spending his first night in a pub in Easingwold, getting well pickled!
A local builder, Mr Williamson, took pity on him and gave him a job. As a result, he never got any further north than Easingwold on his journey to start a new life.
Walter was called up to fight in WW1, where he was injured by a bullet. He returned home and continued to work for Mr Williamson. When Mr Williamson retired, Walter took the business over.
He married Ethel Webster and ran the Jolly Farmer public house in Spring Street. Together, they had a family of five. Of their sons, Walter junior played for Easingwold, as did Frank, while George played for Sessay. Their two daughters, Florence and Rosie, made the teas or were scorers.
Frank, the youngest, joined the Royal Marine commandos in WW2 and served most of the war fighting in Yugoslavia. He returned to Easingwold and joined his father in the joinery firm of W Skilbeck and Son, also returning to play cricket for Easingwold.
To read the rest of this story, get a copy of the paper from your nearest stockist.
To view archived news stories please click here.